The Universal International Academy, abbreviated to UIA and established in 2012, was started as an English-Language International Preparatory Centre located in Cixi, Zhejiang Province, China, roughly 2 hours south of Shanghai. The centre was designed to facilitate students’ entry into High schools and Universities abroad, predominantly the US, Australia, Canada and the UK but has since expanded to cover much more. As well as students taking classes in English (taught by both Foreign & Local staff), Science and Math (taught by local staff) as the core curriculum, with additional classes added as per individual students’ needs, UIA also provides educational support to other schools, creates materials and course books and provides a vast range of other services to numerous different individuals and organisations.
UIA is heavily student-focused with a concentrated faculty, meaning education is personally tailored for each individual student. Whilst all students take IELTS classes, other classes may also be included (such as TOEFL, CET etc) when required. In addition, skills-focused classes are also offered to our full time students (aged approx. 14-22). The content of these classes are at the discretion of the teacher.
Whilst we have a professional approach to our work, we have a very informal and relaxed team (our owner and manager is also a member of our teaching faculty). There is no ‘office drama’ and all levels and departments of the company intermingle on a daily basis.
The last couple of years have seen rapid growth and expansion. From a single centre, UIA has grown in both reputation and scale to open a number of additional campuses;
1. UIA (Ciyuan Campus) – This is our main hub for teaching and where our foreign faculty is based. This centre includes both domestic and international teaching departments. Located within a 5 minute walk from Cixi’s pedestrianised city centre, the Ciyuan campus is on the doorstep of countless Chinese and Western amenities, with Starbucks being the closest and most popular haunt for teachers, both local and foreign. This campus is comprised of a number of small 1-on-1 classrooms and one large classroom for full time staff.
2. UIA (Poly Campus) – The de-facto centre for regional operations (approx. 10 minutes drive from the Ciyuan campus).
3. Windsor Bi-Lingual Academy – UIA’s Young Learner centre, located in the DiTang district of Cixi (10 minutes from Ciyuan and 5 minutes from Poly). A new building on campus is currently being built to extend UIA to teach A-Level, iGCSE and house boarding students.
4. UIA (Eton Campus) – Our newest centre located in the adjacent city of Yuyao. Set to open in June 2018.
We are looking for dedicated and motivated teachers to help continue this success period. We offer full training to successful candidates, which is open to both newly-qualified and experienced candidates.
– Teaching a maximum of 22 classroom hours per week (averages at around 15)
– 40 Office Hours
– Mostly teaching IELTS Speaking to full-time students aged 14-22 years
– Some IELTS Writing / Reading Classes
– Some 1-on-1/2/3 Classes
– Possibly some small YL Classes in the Future
– Working Hours Weekdays & Saturday 9:00am – 17:00pm (Friday 13:00pm-20:00pm)
– Sunday + Monday Off
UIA encourages it team members to complete project work, which will be financially rewarded if successful. This can be material or curriculum development, media management or anything else our teachers think would benefit our students and customers. Most team members start their own projects, but new teachers can join in pre-existing projects and reap the benefits before deciding to start their own.
We offer full and ongoing training to all teachers. This will include general teaching skills, IELTS and international exam-specific sessions, as well as other useful skills. Some recent sessions have included;
* Photoshop (Basic)
* Photoshop (Intermediate)
* PowerPoint (for teaching)
* Excel (Basic)
* Excel (Advanced)
* Video Editing (Basic)
Cixi is a city with a rich culture and a long history. It was part of the state of Yue in the Spring and Autumn period (770-476 B.C.). The county was set up in the Qin Dynasty. At first it was called “Juzhang” and has been using the name of “Cixi” since the Kaiyuan reign of the Tang Dynasty (738 A.D.).
Cixi has the tradition of advocating culture and emphasizing education, with several thousand years of historical relics and profound cultural background which cultivated three regional cultures, i.e. “celadon, reclamation and immigration”. Shanglinhu celadon has been sold overseas as a “Maritime Silk Road” to the world, historical tideland reclamation area has become one of the areas with the most abundant land reserve resources in Zhejiang Province, and the immigration culture has several years of history.
Cixi was listed as the “demonstration base for community digital learning in the national city and countryside” by the Ministry of Education in 2010 and 2011.
- Monthly salary of 10,000 RMB
- Monthly Housing Allowance of up to 1,2000 RMB
- Flight Allowance of 10,000 RMB (No tickets / receipts needed)
- Z-Visa + Residence Permit Paid & Provided
- 5 Paid Holiday Days + All Chinese National Holidays (Approx. 21 Days in total)
- Project Work Bonus
- Performance Bonus
- Retention Bonus
• Native / Proficient English Speaker (IELTS 8.0 or Higher for Non-Native Speakers)
• Aged 22-55 (Local Work Visa Requirement)
• Hold a BA/BSc Level Qualification, Equivalent or Higher
• Hold a TEFL/ESL/EFL/CELTA/TESOL Qualification, Equivalent or Higher
• No Criminal Record
• Good Health
– Previous Teaching Experience
– Previous Experience in China
– Previous Experience with British, Canadian and/or Australian Education Systems
– Positive, Adaptable, Professional and Committed
How To Apply
If you think you would be the perfect fit for UIA, please send a copy of your CV to our Academic Manager, Mark Wain, by any methods below. If you just have some general questions regarding the position, please don’t hesitate in getting in touch.
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +86 1586-954-6727